Timeline


Reading Room above Pardee's Grocery

  • 1887 - The first "public library" was a reading room above Pardee's Grocery on College Avenue near Oneida Street. It was privately run but available to anyone.
  • 1888-1894 - Library was located at the first YMCA building until a fire destroyed all but 400 books.
  • 1896 - Library was revived and consisted of a rented room on Oneida Street next to the Conway Hotel.
  • 1897 - Library consisted of rented rooms above the Petersen-Rehbein Meat Market at 106 W. College Avenue.
  • 1897, May - The association that operated the money ran out of money and asked the city to establish the library.
  • 1897, August 4 - The Mayor appointed the first Library Board, which was confirmed by the Common Council.
  • 1897, August 11 - The Board elected its first officers.
  • 1897, September 1 - The Free Public Library of Appleton opened its doors in a room adjacent to the Common Council chambers.
  • 1900 - Combination Library / Museum / City Hall located at 121 S. Oneida Street
  • 1904 - Sunday service started
  • 1918 - First children's story times
  • 1921 - First children's librarian hired
  • 1939 - City offices move out of library building
  • 1954 - Library building remodeled
  • 1975 - Friends of Appleton Library formed
  • 1981 - New Library building opens at 225 N. Oneida
  • 1989 - Appleton Library Foundation formed
  • 1995 - Library expansion and renovation started
  • 1997 - Appleton Public Library celebrates centennial
  • 2002 - Reach 1 million circulation
  • 2003 - WLA Library of the Year
  • 2009 - The Appleton Library Foundation and Friends of Appleton Library merged to form one organization retaining the Friends name.
AddThis