Appleton Summer Events 2014
This blog details some of my experiences with Library materials. You can also check out my Staff Picks reviews or take a look at the books I've set out on the Staff Picks Shelf at the Library. Some of the items I review on this blog are also pinned on Pinterest. - Sara, Electronic Services Librarian
One of my favorite things about the Library is knowing that we are one of those rare places you can call and speak to a human rather than a recording. Many are surprised, however, when they call the City of Appleton's General Information line and we, the Library Reference Desk, answer that number to help connect you with the City Department or service that addresses your need.
Right before summer kicks off, we begin to field a large number of calls on the same topics. Hopefully this info helps you plan for the summer months:
- Memorial Day Parade: Monday, May 26, 9am. There are no restrictions on placing blankets & chairs out early for the Memorial Day Parade. Following the parade, a ceremony will take place at Riverside Cemetery.
- Outdoor Farm Market
- NEW mid-week market -- Wednesdays, Washington Square, 3:30-7:30pm; begins June 4
- Saturdays, 8am-12:30pm; begins June 21
- Summer Concert Series (Free)
- Lunchtime Live: Thursdays, Houdini Plaza, 11:30-1pm; begins June 5
- Heid Music Summer Concert Series: Thursdays, Houdini Plaza OR Jones Park, 5:30-8:30pm; begins June 5
- Downtown Trolley (Free): begins June 5
- Thursday and Friday 5-11pm
- Saturday 8am-11pm
- Swimming Pools open June 6
- Swim fees, coupons, and pass info. See pages 39-47 in the March-September 2014 City Guide for more pool and swimming lesson info.
- Mead: 832-5918; map (Saturday, August 23 is "Doggie Day At The Pool" 832-3926)
- Erb: 832-5917; map
- Appleton High School pools are rented by Parks and Rec during the summer for open swim. Contact them with any questions 832-5905 ext.0
- Appleton City Band Concerts: Tuesdays, 7pm, Pierce Park; begins June 10
- Flag Day Parade: Saturday, June 14, 2-4:30pm. There are no restrictions on placing blankets & chairs out early for the Flag Day Parade.
- Art on the Town: 3rd Friday of the Month, 6-9pm; begins June 20
- Fourth of July (celebrated Thursday, July 3 at Memorial Park)
- Festivities: 5-11pm
- Fireworks: begin at dusk (approx. 9pm)
- Old Car Show & Swap Meet: Sunday, July 20, Pierce Park (Free)
- Appleton Children's Parade: Wednesday, July 23, 6pm
- Playground Fair: Thursday & Friday, July 24 & 25, 2-8pm, Pierce Park
- Friday only from 12:30-2pm: early access for families with children with special needs
- One wristband=$5. One punchcard= $2. The wristband allows for unlimited use of all inflatable rides/attractions and attractions during the two-day fair; must have for inflatable use. One punchcard allows the holder the ability to play up to 10 carnival games; punchcard may not be used for inflatable rides/attractions.
- Art at the Park: Sunday, July 27, 9am-4:30pm
- Mile of Music: August 7-10
And, of course, there's always something for everyone at Appleton Public Library. Everything is FREE and open to all!
Send a Question or Comment to Appleton Public Library.