Did you know that the Appleton Public Library provides these free services?
This blog is about new paperless reading materials like downloadable audio books, ebooks, and online magazines, made available to you through the Appleton Public Library. I plan to provide helpful tips on using these new products, along with reviews of audio books, music on cd, and movies on DVD and Blu-ray. The library is changing as rapidly as your access to media and the Internet. We want to keep on top of the trends and bring you information and entertainment in a way that fits your life today. -Beth
- A library card is free to residents—just bring in your photo ID and proof of current address if not on your ID, then stop at a service desk and get a card in a few minutes.
- Free Wi-Fi and internet computers are available at the Appleton Public Library. Use your library card to use the computers up to two hours a day. Visiting from outside Wisconsin? You can get a guest pass using your ID to access the internet computers.
- Download free e-books and audio books from Wisconsin’s Digital Library or OneClick Digital.
- We answer questions! Can’t find an out-of state phone number? Who was the 23rd President of the United States?* What is the name of the children’s museum and where is it located in Appleton?** Call 832-6173, the main number for most questions, 832-6177 for media questions, or 832-6187 for Children’s.
- Free access to databases such as Mango language learning, HeritageQuest genealogy website from home or Ancestry Library Edition within the library, car repair databases, Opposing Viewpoints, newspapers and magazines online, and many others. Go to www.apl.org/e to see what we have available in our elibrary resources.Kids bugging you to buy new video games? Save money by checking out PS3 or Xbox 360 video games from the Children’s and Teens areas for free.
- Call dibs on hot new books—they are usually in the catalog a month or two before the book is released, so you can get a place in line before they even come out, at no charge.
- Free subscriptions to 100 different magazines are available through Zinio once you create an account using your library card.
- Looking for interesting books to read? There are Staff Picks next to the new books where books recommended by staff are placed, while on the website there are new Staff Picks every few days. You can read older reviews by going to http://www.apl.org/staffpicks/all.
- Programs for all ages and interests are available for free at the library: author talks, book clubs, craft programs, petting zoo, knitting groups, children's programs, and many more. Check the Event Calendar at http://host6.evanced.info/appleton/evanced/eventcalendar.asp.
Answers: *Benjamin Harrison was the 23rd American President. Found at the White House site.
**The Building for Kids, is located at 100 W. College Avenue, Appleton.
Send a Question or Comment to Appleton Public Library.