Finding Foreign Films
This blog is about new paperless reading materials like downloadable audio books, ebooks, and online magazines, made available to you through the Appleton Public Library. I plan to provide helpful tips on using these new products, along with reviews of audio books, music on cd, and movies on DVD and Blu-ray. There may even be an occasional post on genealogy. The library is changing as rapidly as your access to media and the Internet. We want to keep on top of the trends and bring you information and entertainment in a way that fits your life today. -Diana
Do you speak a language other than English or want to practice the language you are learning in school? Are you visiting the US and are homesick for entertainment in your native language? Perhaps you are a film buff who loves foreign films?
We have films from many countries at the Appleton Public Library. This month the film display highlights foreign films so it’s extra easy to find one. The display is behind the Information Desk.
We also have an updatedForeign Films list which lists many of our newer foreign films plus some “classic” foreign films. Films are arranged by language and/or country.
If you wish to search for a certain film, or category of film, there are various ways to search in InfoSoup:
1. Exact title. If you don’t see it in English, try looking for the name in the original language.
2. Director. Use the author field and type in the director’s name. If they have also written books, you can narrow the search by choosing DVD & VHS & Blu-ray as the format.
3. Actor. Use the author category. Narrow by format.
4. Choose the subject search; then enter one of these subject headings:
- a. Feature Films—___________ (fill in the blank with the name of the language you’re looking for)
- b. Moving Pictures--_____________
- c. Foreign Films--_____________
5. Once you find a film in a language you like, you can link to others by clicking the subject headings at the bottom of the entry.
Enjoy watching films from all over the world!
Send a Question or Comment to Appleton Public Library.