Children’s Summer Library Program
Work with young children checking reading logs and distributing prizes. Sort carts as time permits.
Assisting staff in administering the Summer Library Program.
- Greet children and their caregivers as they enter the children’s room.
- Distribute weekly prizes to children registered in the Summer Library Program.
- Answer directional questions from patrons.
- Refer reference questions to library staff members.
- Record all patron interactions on a tally sheet.
- Accurately record your volunteer hours by filling out the APL volunteer form each time you volunteer.
- Assist with sorting and shelving book carts.
- Notify volunteer supervisor in advance if you are unable to make your scheduled shift.
- Be on time for each of your shifts.
- Discuss any questions and concerns about the Summer Library Program or volunteer duties with the volunteer supervisor or with library staff members.
- Promote the Summer Library Program as a desirable summer activity.
- Alert library staff when the prize inventory is low.
- Assist with shelf reading.
- Assist in straightening and picking up the children’s services department.
- Assist with other tasks requested by library staff. (This may include sharpening pencils, cutting scratch paper, cutting/preparing craft activities or counting materials.)
- Have completed 6th grade or the equivalent of.
- Have participated in an orientation for the responsibility of being a volunteer.
- Commit to working at least 8 shifts during the length of the Summer Library Program.
- Show respect for library patrons of all ages.
- Present a neat, clean and appropriate appearance.
Send a Question or Comment to Appleton Public Library.