Census 2020: What you Need to Know: Non-profits

Getting the census right is important for all American communities, particularly those most likely to be undercounted.

Important Notes:

  • Beginning March 12, 2020, the Census Bureau will mail census materials to 95% of homes. Online access is available at 2020census.gov.
  • Eighty percent (80%) of those homes will receive a letter inviting them to respond to the census online using a unique code. The other 20% (where internet access may be limited) will receive the same letter plus a paper questionnaire.
  • April 1 is Census Day, although most households will receive their materials before then and may respond prior to that date. The Census Bureau will start visiting homes that haven’t responded in May.
  • Households can continue to self-respond online, using a paper questionnaire, or by phone during the follow up period.
  • Follow Outagamie County Complete Count Committee to stay up-to-date.

 

Census 2020 FAQ:
Non-Profit Leaders and the 2020 Census from Minnesota Council of Non-Profits  (Powerpoint)

Community Member Focused Documents from Count Us In 2020 (multi-language availability).

Census 101 printable: (available in Spanish)

Non-Profit Toolkit from Minnesota Council of Non-Profits

What Non-Profits Need to Know from Nonprofit VOTE

 

Counting Hard to Count Populations:
People Experiencing Homelessness-  from the Center for Poverty and Inequality-Georgetown Law.

Women and Girls from the Center for Poverty and Inequality-Georgetown Law.

People with Disabilities from the Center for Poverty and Inequality-Georgetown Law.

Latinos from the Center for Poverty and Inequality-Georgetown Law.

Special Circumstances  from 2020census.gov

 

How Partners can support  the  2020 Census:
FAQ for Stakeholders Supporting 2020 Census

Census Outreach 101 and What Community-Based Organizations Can Do

How to Become a Partner from census.gov

 

Social  Media:

Count on Your Census (podcast available): 

US Census Bureau

The Census Project